Sunday, July 14, 2013

Who Knew Homemade Sauerkraut Was A Superfood/Probiotic?

I am back after a long break from posting on my blog. I have begun to learn about the benefits of eating an alkaline diet and thought it would benefit others to know this stuff too. Raw Sauerkraut is an extremely potent probiotic and superfood. Who knew?? I would have never thought it would be so advantageous for your health to eat daily. A few things I learned about this superfood:

*Sauerkraut provides a high-density source of a wide range of beneficial live lactic acid bacteria which assists in the digestive process.

*A phytonutrient in this vegetable (cabbage) significantly enhances your liver's detoxification ability. According to a study, eating these foods every day will half your risk of getting cancer.

How I made my homemade sauerkraut:

Chop up green cabbage and throw in a bowl. Sprinkle with sea salt and mix with clean hands. Pack it in little by little in a mason jar until its almost filled to the top. Leave a tiny bit of space to compact it in there (use a wooden spoon or something similar to pack it down tight). Use folded up leaves (save these from the cabbage before you start chopping) to stuff at the top of the lid. Fill the jar with filtered clean water (not tap) and store it in a room temp dark cupboard for at least 5 days. I just made my first batch! So yum. Here is a photo of it:


It is best to eat 1/2 cup before every meal to balance the PH in your body for better digestion and health. Enjoy!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment